Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Improv Game #1-Musical Mad Libs

Musical MAD LIBS

- A blank MAD LIBS sheet is projected on the board. There are many websites that offer free MAD LIBS for students, such as http://www.classroomjr.com/printable-mad-libs-for-kids/. Word clues such as nouns, verbs, adjectives; should be replaced by descriptions of sounds, instruments to be used, dynamics or other improvisational cues that has been used in the class room. Some cues for example:

Spoken Event (3 times)

Staccato Xylophone

Forte Female Voices

All voices whisper

Tribal rhythm on percussion instruments

Beatbox Male Voices

Sing your favorite nursery rhyme

ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES!

***The teacher prompted cues should be used as an introduction. The larger goal of the activity is for students to develop their own cues in order to replace the word cues in the MAD LIB. Students may use the word clues as inspiration for their musical cues, i.e. “How would you make a verb sound?”

Students should perform the MAD LIB as an "Improv Ensemble", the teacher or student volunteer will read (or sing) the MAD LIB story while the class performs the musical cues that occur throughout.


Below is a MAD LIB example that my 4th grade general music classes performed:

"The Snow Globe"

I have a magic snow globe. It was given to me by (Whispers) who lives in (3 Events). It’s magical because when I shake it (All instruments/voices <>), it (Staccato playing). Then I can pretend to go to (Sing Holiday Songs). But when I shake it (Vocal Sound Effects), the snow globe (Staccato Instruments).

One day not long ago, when I shook the globe, something really (2 Forte Events) happened. In fact, it was so (Legato Voices) that I called (Cartoon Order) so I could share the news. This person thought it was (Duet with partner) He called the (Speech >).

A reporter came to my house to see the globe for herself. Now the globe is (character order holiday song clips), and so am I!

The End...


No comments:

Post a Comment