Friday, March 11, 2011

Middle Schoolers' Initial Reaction to Oh, Pierre!

Yesterday, Eric and I held our first rehearsal with our middle school (grades 6-8) music students. In order to gauge our students' developing thoughts, skills and understanding of improvisation in our CD-SIDE composition, we gave students a short survey before we began on their initial reactions on being invited to participate in the project. Their answers are as follows:

OH PIERRE! Pre-participation Survey

What was your first impression of this project as you read the permission paper?

"I thought that it seemed new and strange and interesting."

"I was excited! I thought it would be a cool experience."

"I first thought I could finally stop being afraid of improvising"

"Good because you're not given any restrictions (time, key signature)."


How would you describe your experience and your level of comfort with improvisation either instrumentally or vocally?

"Experience 5/10, Confidence 2/10."

"I am fairly experienced and I'm not that comfortable with improvising."

"I am usually afraid to play in empty space since I tend to add and drop a beat or two from measures"

"Instrumentally-okay...not much confidence. Vocal- do not like singing in front of people."

"I have had much vocal improvisation from theater camps and I love it- I have to be in the mood."


What is one thing that excites you about this project, likewise what is one thing (if any) that may concern you about this project?

"I'm concerned about what it will sound like. I like how we have our own individuality in our improv."

" I am always afraid to lose time on the drums, but I've never really tried vocal."

"I am excited to hear what the final product sounds like. I'm not concerned about anything."

"I just like music. It will probably end up being pretty bizarre."


What do you hope to gain (either musically or otherwise) from your participation in this project?

"I hope to gain knowledge."

"To become a better improvolizationalist."

"Better improvness."

"I hope to play a totally different kind of music and learn to stay in time, but still be creative!"

No comments:

Post a Comment